The World Is Ticking

Be Financially Independent In The Philippines

Monday, March 28, 2011

My Present Guilty Pleasure: The Baker King

I swear, I have never been addicted to a telenovela, much less a Korean telenovela. For me, TV is just about news, documentaries, and (gasp) cooking and travel shows. (Anthony Bourdain and Ian Wright are my favorites.)

GMA-7, one of the biggest TV networks in Manila and all over the Philippines, have recently acquired the rights to show 제빵왕 김탁구, or Jeppangwang Kim Tak Goo, or Baker King, Kim Tak Goo. Here in Manila and in the rest of the country, the Korean telenovela is known simply as The Baker King. Premiered on June of 2010 in Korea, the drama series had a total of 30 episodes and enjoyed top rating for the most part of its showing. Read more here.

Apparently it has gained popularity here in Manila as well. It is currently running, and so far, I have found the story to be engaging. Plus, I like any show that has to do with baking and cooking. (Which is quite weird because I never got to follow Jewel In The Palace.) I do not claim to be a telenovela connoisseur, but I rarely follow one if the story is not good, Tagalog dubbing notwithstanding. Go check it out.

No comments: