The World Is Ticking

Be Financially Independent In The Philippines

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Dark Moment In Recent History, New Poll, And Akira Kurosawa


The bus of death. Photo from this site.

Last August 23, 2010, the entire Philippine nation and the world watched in horror as a hostage-taking drama came to a bloody end. There were nine casualties, which included eight Hong Kong nationals on vacation in the country, and the hostage taker, an

ex-policeman who was relieved from his position more than a year ago secondary to charges of robbery and extortion.

Since this harrowing incident, much has

happened, many of which are newsworthy, but nothing of this magnitude. It will definitely take time before Manila, my poor city, and the Philippines, my poor country, can recover. So many have already been written (getting to be redundant, really); I need not join in the mad fray and display of lack of sobriety on both sides. Objectivity and level-headedness are needed to resolve this.

I can only hope for justice. For the rest of us, may we all learn something from this incident.

Nothing productive can be properly achieved from hate.

Ok ok. I sort of neglected this blog. I have been busy myself. My hands are full with exciting things to write and talk about. Too bad there are only 24 hours in a day, hahah.

One particular event that I am so excited about is the Akira Kurosawa film festival that is ongoing.

Oh God. Akira Kurosawa. I am one big fan. Need I enumerate his great works like Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ran, Red Beard, and Dreams? This filmfest, which serves to celebrate Kurosawa’s 100th birth anniversary, is like a dream come true. The Cultural Center of the Philippines Dream Theatre will show his works from September 15-18, after which the venue transfers to the UP Film Center. The filmfest will be until the end of this month.

What’s more, this affair is freaking FREE! *faint*

Read more here.

There is a new poll on the siderail that I would like you to check out. While you keep yourself busy with it, I will write my next post, and will be back sooner than you think. Take care and see you later.

No comments: